Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Follow the yellow...err...turquoise and red brick road...

I don't know about you, but there are several people I can think of that give directions by describing landmarks...you know, "you turn left at the old Smith place"...trouble is that it was the Smith place 40 years ago and I am only 25...

For the most part, I find landmark direction givers incredibly frustrating. Generally their "landmarks" are not what I would call obvious and the directions make me even more lost than if I had simply asked for the address and googled it! However, the odd time the landmarks are nice and obvious, so it's ok..."you will make a VERY sharp curve to the right before hitting a stop sign where you will turn left and go up over the bridge" OR "You'll know you're on the right road because you will pass a house with a boat being built on the front lawn on the right-hand side" OR "The farm is the first farm on the right. If you get to the red brick house with hideous, bright turquoise shutters, you've gone too far."

Well, we happen to live in a GREAT landmark...the red brick house with the hideous bright turquoise shutters has our name on the mailbox! EVERYONE knows our house and the colour of the shutters has affectionately been named "Vivian Green" by the neighbours in honour of the old lady that used to live here. While it is kind of neat that everyone knows and recognizes our little brick house, those who know me know that I am a "matchy" person. Turquoise paint and red brick are not what I would call complimentary...lucky for me, I am married to a guy that is just as anal retentive as myself when it comes to matching!

I am VERY happy to report that we will have turquoise shutter no more!!! New colours have been picked, the ladders have arrived and the paint scrapping has commenced! In a few short weeks, we will have a brand new look for our little brick house!

I AM SUPER EXCITED!!! Can you tell?

Take one last look at our house as it was...



Carm mentioned to me that when he told the neighbours that we would be painting the shutters this summer, he was told that we couldn't possibly get rid of the "Vivian Green"...but when he suggested that we could have the colour matched for them and they could paint their own shutters that colour if they liked....suddenly the beautiful turquoise wasn't quite the "to die for" colour after all! Can you blame them? Or us? Stay tuned for the "After" pictures as our house goes from eyesore landmark to eye-catching landmark!!

No comments:

Post a Comment