Monday, August 10, 2009

Let Them Eat Steak...

That's right...steak, not cake. Anyone can eat cake, but you need to have good teeth to eat steak....two of which my darling Maddie has now! I know my last post was about teeth as well, but teeth are a big deal in our house these days. After being on the receiving end of several good steak-worthy bites...per feeding!!, I have decided that enough is enough with the whole breastfeeding thing. I have managed to wince my way through every other breastfeeding blunder thrown at me for the last 5 months and call me a wuss if you must, but this mama draws the line at being bitten. "They" say that you have to let them get one good bite in in order to teach them not to....well my little diva baby looks at me and laughs after she bites while I am telling her sternly that she shouldn't bite mommy...I think I am in for a lifetime of defiance if she is starting already...uh oh!

Anyways, I have cut back to just one nursing a day for now and will drop the last one in a couple of weeks. I am still pumping enough that she gets only one bottle of formula and the rest is breastmilk...so I am not a complete failure as a mom. I also have quite the supply in the freezer for her, so I should be able to keep her on minimal formula until she is well over 6 months (my initial breastfeeding goal).

I may have "given up" just shy of my goal, however, I am ok with my decision. I stuck it out through a lot of tears and crappy booby trauma, so I am saying "job well done" to myself. Not only am I much happier when bottle feeding miss Maddie, but I have a 5 month old that is happy, healthy and well over 16 lbs, so she is off to a good start. 

Now I am just looking forward to having my boobs back to myself and wearing REAL bras again! La Senza here I come! Woot!

On another note, I have another sister!! My brother-in-law's wedding was this past Saturday and despite the rain, it was a BEAUTIFUL day and a great party!! I happen to know the photographer personally, so watch for some pictures coming soon!

Well, time for a little "mommy time"...Confessions of a Shopaholic! Until next time my friends... 

3 comments:

  1. Wow. That's pretty freaking insulting to all of the mom's out there that formula feed. I wonder if they know that not breastfeeding their children makes them failures as moms.

    Way to be completely judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you post such "insulting" comments about my post, you should perhaps read some of my previous posts. You would then know that my comment about being a "failure" is meant to be entirely sarcastic. It is not me that thinks this way....absolutely, 100% not!! It is society in general that seems to categorize formula feeding mamas as inferior to breastfeeding mamas. I have had a HORRIBLE breastfeeding experience and thought many a time of switching to formula feeding...in fact, the only way I have kept my sanity whilst breastfeeding is by combining the two methods (formula/nursing). In the end, I have stuck it out, but only because I had enough people encouraging me to do so and unintentionally making me feel like less of a mom if I didn't.

    In my eyes it doesn't matter how your baby is fed so long as she is happy and healthy. End of story.

    I would suggest that next time you get the full story before you provide your opinions and comments on somebody.

    "Way to be completely judgemental"...Right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! You rock for doing it this long and you've planned ahead for the next month! Let me know how weaning goes! I hope to make it as long as you have..I've already put a disclaimer that I may call it quits once Luca's teeth come it..it's too scary!!! Xoxo to you and Maddie!

    ReplyDelete