Thursday, June 25, 2009

One for the History Books

Today was a big day in a lot of respects...this is good as it gives me something to write about in my first official blog post!

On this day, June 25, we mourn the loss of not one but two Hollywood icons. One an angel and the other a king, both have touched millions, if not billions of people across the globe. It is a sad day as the world says goodbye to Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson, but both have legacies that will live on most likely forever! 

Farrah, best known for her role as a Charlie's Angel and as a  70's pin up for millions of teenage boys around the world, lost a courageous battle with cancer this morning. In recent weeks, her battle has been made very public through numerous magazine articles and television interviews with her friends and family members; a friend even made a documentary of her struggle through the numerous cancer treatments. Farrah wanted to let people know just what it is like to be diagnosed with and to fight like hell to conquer it. For this, I commend her. She was a brave women who succumbed to her illness in the end, but she is one Angel that went down swinging! She will not be forgotten.

The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, also met his demise this afternoon. I would be willing to put my neck out there and go on the record as saying that there is likely not one person in this world that has not heard of him or his music. While the dude was one of the weirdest people of all time, his music changed the face of pop music and became iconic. Even through all his troubles... molestation charges, weird antics, illness, "botched" surgeries, etc. his music never lost its staying power. Really, who can't sing along to Billy Jean or recognize the sweet dance moves from the Thriller? Heck, his dance moves alone make him an icon! [insert a little moonwalk here]

On a lighter note, my house did not get hit by lightning today during all of the crazy weather! Woot! Apparently tornadoes hit a couple places not far from where we live, but luckily we were left untouched. I am TERRIFIED of bad weather. Oddly enough though, I have also always been fascinated by wicked weather...the wickeder the weather, the more intrigued I become. I love to watch thunderstorms...from the safety of my house and I have always wanted to see a tornado...but obviously from a safe distance!

Well, Madelyn, who has been napping quietly beside me, is starting to wake up which can only mean one thing...it's eating time for the munchkin! I had better get her fed so she doesn't try to eat things she shouldn't...a la the photo below...



No comments:

Post a Comment